Buchu (Agathosma Betulina) leaves are sweepers or natural detox agents. When surplus water is retained in the body it can become toxic, causing illnesses like high blood pressure, uric acid, gout and others. A Sweeper (or detox agent), like buchu, helps the body to naturally rid itself of any excess water.
- Weight loss, menstrual:
Buchu leaves offer natural relief from menstrual problems such as cramps and bloating. It is approved by the American Food and Drug organization as a natural weight management supplement. It also carries European Union approval.
- General Health Tonic:
In Africa buchu has been used for many generations as a general tonic or elixir to promote overall well-being:
- Minerals: potassium, calcium, magnesium, nitrogen and sodium, phosphate, manganese
- Vitamins: A, B, C and E
- Flavonoids: Diosmin, hesperidin, quercitin and rutin - plant chemicals that have protective and disease preventative properties.
- Urinary Tract disinfectant:
Help to aid or prevent infections to the genito-urinary system like urethritis, cystitis, prostatitis, catarrh of the bladder and dysuria.
- It is a natural antispasmodic, which aids digestion and relieves nausea and flatulence.
- It can help to prevent hangovers and other symptoms of overindulgence.
- Buchu is also a natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic.
- Buchu can assist with the prevention of cystitis (bladder infection), prostate and kidney problems and it helps with incontinence associated with prostate problems.
Buchu leaves were also fed to race horses after races as a kidney tonic and to racing pigeons before races as a secret tonic to enhance performance.